The Social Value Management Certificate is looking at the standard of an organisations practice in managing the social value that is created (and destroyed) through its activities. This is not only about reporting social value, it is about gathering data, analysing it, and making better informed decisions to improve your stakeholders lives through creating the most social value that you can with your resources. It does not provide proof or a statement that your organisation or programme is creating a particular amount of social value, more that you are putting practice in place to continuously improve the amount of value you are creating. The Social Value Management Certificate is an organisational pathway and there should be an explicit expectation when undertaking this journey that decision making, and organisational activities will change throughout.
The Social Value Management Certificate can be awarded to an organisation, a department or franchise, or a specific programme/project being run by an organisation.
The Social Value Management Certificate has three levels, which are outlined below. This is an organisational development pathway, and so applicants must progress through each level consecutively.
|Level One: Commit||An organisation or programme must demonstrate a commitment to embedding the SVI Framework and Social Value Principles into its policies and practices, supported by senior management and/ or the board. This means an explicit commitment to managing the social value being created in the organisation for all stakeholders.|
|Level Two: Implement||The organisation or programme must show that the commitment to managing social value in alignment to the SVI Framework and embedding the Social Value Principles is being implemented into the organisational practice. This will include evidence of data that has been collected.|
|Level Three: Manage||The organisation or programme must demonstrate that social value is being managed with an aim to maximise the value that is being created within the organisation’s available resources for all stakeholders. This means social value data is being used in organisational decision making continuously and systems and processes are being reviewed and improved.|
To progress through each level applicants need to provide evidence that they are meeting the specific criteria for that level. The full criteria for all levels can be downloaded below.
Why should I get the Social Value Management Certificate?
The Social Value Management Certificate has the following advantages:
- Gain a competitive advantage: You can prove to external stakeholders (including funders/ investors/ commissioners) that you are aligning to an international standard for managing social value and taking steps towards maximising the value that you can create.
- Improve your practice: You can follow a clear pathway for improving the way you are measuring and managing your social value with the support of peers and an international network of practitioners.
- Maximise: You can maximise the value you are creating for all of your stakeholders by implementing robust systems to measure, manage and maximise your social value.
- Social risk management: The certificate can provide confidence to you, and your stakeholders that you are taking steps to manage your social value.
View the Social Value Management Certificate Directory to see the organisations who already have the certificate.
How much does an application for the Social Value Management Certificate cost?
To make an application for the Social Value Management Certificate you must be an organisational member of Social Value International (or an affiliated National Network).
Applications for Social Value Management Certificate Level 1 ‘Commit’ received within the first 6 months of membership or renewal are discounted by 50%
|Membership type||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Renewal (of Level 3)|
|Organisational member (small)||£500||£500||£500||£500|
|Organisational member (medium)||£750||£750||£750||£750|
|Organisational member (large)||£1000||£1000||£1000||£1000|
|Organisational member (very large)||£1250||£1250||£1250||£1250|
All prices are in GBP and exclude VAT.
How to Apply
- Download and carefully read the Social Value Management Certificate Guidance Document. This contains all the information you need to make a successful application.
- Download and carefully read the Social Value Management Certificate Criteria for All 3 Levels.
- Make sure your organisation has a current membership with Social Value International.
- Arrange a preparation call with the Assurance Manager before making the application.
- Download and read the Terms & Conditions of application. A signed copy of these must be submitted with your application.
- Download and complete the relevant Criteria and Evidence Form from links below:
To apply for the Social Value Management Certificate, please use the button below. Please note that your application will be processed during the next round. The dates of the Social Value Management Certificate application rounds are available on the Assurance Calendar.
It is also a good idea to take our Self-Assessment on the Social Value Self Assessment Tool. This gives you an indication of how your social value management systems and processes are already meeting the standards. It also has a very useful set of tips and guidance to help you improve your practice over time.
How has the Certificate been developed?
The Social Value Management Certificate has been developed by Social Value International as part of their assurance and accreditation services. The SVI Framework and Social Value Principles form the basis for the certification.
The criteria for the Social Value Management Certificate is updated incrementally based on methodological updates, feedback from users and awardees, and wider review and learning.
The current version of the Social Value Management Certificate is Version 2, published in March 2020.
The development of the criteria and certificates is overseen by Social Value International’s Reporting and Assurance Technical Committee. There is more information on the SVI Governance on the website: https://socialvalueint.org/social-value/governance/
For more information about the governance contact us at email@example.com.